Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.

So this is my first post in what is hopefully going to be a totally rad, rock and roll filled year for me. I just outlived Kurt Cobain and have somehow managed to be the least attached person on the planet who is not (completely) homeless. I am single, have no kids, no addictions, no pets, no mortgage. I work for my family occasionally when I am not traveling, working in politics. Sometimes this nomadic lifestyle has it's advantages, such as randomly being in various cities on someone elses dime, allowing for a wider range of show choices than in the Tennessee where I reside. But I find myself working 13 hour days, 7 days a week which usually means I cant make it out for live music unless it's really important. And forget about having the next day off to recover.

WELL 2011, you are gonna be a horse of a different color. My new year's resolution was a simple one. Music, my true love, is gonna take priority this year. Im gonna go broke in the process of seeing as many bands play as possible. I'm gonna go all over this fair nation in pursuit of the epic experience. Im gonna see the Strokes like a deadhead. I'm gonna foolishly make out with drummers and bass players. Im gonna edit these memories for my children who will ask me "Hey Ma, you really saw LCD Soundsystem?" To which I will reply, "Yeah, but I kinda bailed to watch MIA. Seriously, she was amazing"

My boss told me that older people have almost every advantage in life. They have more money, education, and experience and are generally just more put together, less awkward. But the young are better with technology (I don't care). And (... this one really pains me) the youth decide whats cool. I pointed out that I AM STILL COOL. He pointed out that that's only if the hipster population, respects my opinion and therefore still thinks I'm cool. It doesn't matter if its good or not. God, I was literally the exact same person when I was 14 as I am now.

I am losing my edge, but I was there.

1 comment: