Monday, March 14, 2011

THE CON

So I am leaving for SXSW soon (or South-by as the hip music insiders say but eff that). I tried to get a platinum or music badge via eBay but failed repeatedly to win the auctions as I refuse to pay over $500 for the essentially 3.25 days of music I'll get arriving Wednesday night/ Thursday morning.

Then suddenly, a $500 Platinum Badge (get in to everything, don't pay, no real lines) pops up on Craigslist. Rad right? So I contact the guy, using his gmail address, I gchat him and he tells me the only catch is that I cant pay via paypal because he doesn't have an account and it would take too long to verify. This made sense until I googled his email and saw he was selling several pairs of tickets. RED FLAG. Why wouldn't this guy have a paypal? Still, I did as instructed and went to to Walmart, and put $500 on a greendot card. As I paid for it, I read on the package specifically NOT TO PAY PRIVATE PARTIES. So again, I feel really uneasy. The, quite by accident I google ToddEldridge81, accidentally leaving off @gmail.com. AND WHAT pops up via Craigslist?
"SCAM toddeldridge81 Ticket Scam!! - $300 (Ultra Music Festival/ Basketball)" Needless to say, I didn't buy the tickets. Now I am simply gonna go down to Austin ticketless and hope for the best.
I did just receive my Pitchfork Festival tickets in the mail for July 15-17th. So I can sleep a bit easier I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment