Monday, May 16, 2011

Real Drag/ Fast Boys/ Trigger Mortis. April 28, 2011



(Note I did not take this pic and it was actually from the show at Sluggos. but whatever it's still Trigger Mortis)

So I am a totally bias fan of all these bands. I think the Fast Boys are a really fun band and better live than the Greenhornes (odd comparison? my reasoning previously stated here)/ The Real Drag is fronted by one of my best friends Casey Collis (they also have kind of a foxy drummer) and this was my first show seeing them as a three-piece. As for Trigger Mortis, I have made no secret about the fact that they are my favorite Chattanooga band, subject to change now that Big Kitty, another project featuring Trigger Mortis's Amanda Cagle, is playing shows again.
Totally bias.
I was kind of surprised and delighted to see this sweet lineup at Ziggy's, a venue I haven't went to for a few years now. It's not that I don't like Ziggy's, quite the opposite. They just never have any bands I really like anymore.

First up, the Real Drag. I certainly miss the old days of Bathtub Gin but I don't feel like Casey's new project lacks anything. In fact, I am pleasantly surprised that he is allowing GASP! a third member. (Yeah, I have heard tales of Bathtub Gin being a three-piece but I have actually seen this supposed third member as much as the mythical Chupacabra) This was the first show with new member Jimmy on bass and I honestly wasn't sure what to expect. Actually, I am a huge fan of the shows where Casey played drums, guitar, harmonica and sang. It seemed more distinctive and more awesome. Even when, ESPECIALLY WHEN, he went into a room of "I don't care who's playing in the room 10 ft from me" rude-ass hipsters at Discoteca (RIP) and talked absolute shit while still playing! I took a couple shows to adjust to Eric playing drums. It was good and all, just a totally different sound than when Casey did it. Now with a bass player, the sound somehow feels more filled out. And I dig it. it's just different. DIFFERENT IS OK.

I have to admit that for part of the Fast Boys set I was drinking moonshine in the parking lot so I didn't see all of it. That shit sneaks up on you. The Fast Boys don't do anything especially different or difficult, but there is something just something about em. I guess it's just the plain, simple, not annoying punk rockness of it all. They are just fun. Plus, Justin is amusing. He is kind of awesomely unpredictable: either super nice or drunkenly belligerent.

Oh Trigger Mortis! Always good. Amanda Cagle is a magic combination of Talented/Cute/Funny. Rare. Bob is a great drummer who adds radness to a plethora of Chattanooga bands, not to mention the unassuming zombie that is Old Dead Steve. This show was not unlike the rest of their shows I have seen. They were fun and fucking fantastic. I did think the sound could be better. At first, I could hear no vocals. Also, I want more jokes. I really luv the jokes. But I can still say that they are my favorite band in town. MORE MORE MORE.

Ziggy's has kind of a shitty beer selection but I kinda like that they obviously don't give a shit. ZIGGYS FTW


*UPDATE: The Real Drag bass player has left the band, so if you are interested in playing bass in a really great band (for 6 weeks tops, my guess) inquire about that shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment