Friday, April 1, 2011

Short and To the Point Reviews of SxSW shows I can remember

Turbo Fruits: Liked it, should see this Nashville band more
Natural Child: This is probably my favorite Nashville band actually. Saw them at the Jackalope and they filled me with pure joy, my favorite kind of garagy rock.
Mister Heavenly: Michael Cera's band. didnt get to see them. Really bummed me out
Smoking Popes: Holy Shit, this band sounds as good as they did in 1995. I was super impressed. "No More Smiles" was perfect even with my splitting headache and lap full of Long Island Ice Tea.
Heligoats: They were no Troubled Hubble but I truly love this not-so-new project by their former singer. Catchy in exactly the right way. Still kind of Built to Spillish but without the pretension.
Surfer Blood: Their live stuff still lacks some of the punch of their album. I guess it's the great production and echoey vocals. That being said, still really fun live.
The Strokes: Um, I was sort of disappointed only because I built up seeing them live again as my mission in life. Not their fault. Too many people (free show after all) and I am not that into the new album. But when he butchered lyrics to songs I know by heart, it was somehow endearing?
Personal and the Pizzas: Good but not as epic as I thought theyd be. I officially like Hunx and his Punx better
Screaming Females: They had a screaming female. kind of cool
Deer Tick: MOre forgettable than the last time I saw them opening up for Jenny and Johnny
J Mascis: Loud, man he played a shit ton of times
Odd Future: I was scared of the frenzied crowd and frankly, underwhelmed.
Screeching Weasel: Ben Weasel sure loves to hear himself talk but between his incessant bitching there were some heart exploding happy moments when I sang my heart out and jumped around to songs I truly love. Then he punched two girls.
Joey Cape: He was good and all, and maybe I am a jerk for this, but I really wanted to hear some Lagwagon
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit: Good everytime I saw them. Big shock. Seriously though, I could have watched them 10 more times and not been bored.
Caitlin Rose: She was funny and had just as beautiful a voice if not more so than on her recordings. In that setting however (daylight, free drinks, dumb people) it didnt hit me as hard as I thought it would. I mean, when I listen to "Sinful Wishing Well" I have been known to cry. This room was way too happy.
Dead Milkmen: Holy shit this was amazing. They were so fun and happy and great. dancing on stage with random punkers, playing new songs which actually didnt suck, this was the highlight of my time at SXSW. I almost climbed the scaffolding and stage dove but realized I was wearing a short dress.
OFF!: I was mostly getting bacon wrapped pickles at concession during this set, but I seemed fun and raw and rad. Weird long banter, there was the reading of a children's book. Still don't understand.
Mean Jeans: So fucking good. I get why all my friends are obsessed now. Garage punk at its absolute best.

What am I forgetting?

No comments:

Post a Comment